Employed and Self Employed

It can be difficult to work out the amount of tax, National Insurance and Student Loan that you will owe to HMRC if you are both employed and self employed at the same time. For example, you might work a normal job during the week but work for yourself at the weekends. If you change from being employed to being self employed during the tax year, you will have to pay tax on both of these incomes.

In most cases, anything you owe to HMRC from your employment will be taken by PAYE by your employer - but your self employment income will have to be paid by you directly to HMRC. Employed and Self Employed helps you to understand what you need to do, with useful links to official HMRC pages that explain the steps required to get your taxes right.

As well as tips that can help save you from significant overpayment, such as deferring Class 4 National Insurance Contributions, there are tax calculators so you can predict the amount of tax and National Insurance that you will be asked to pay, once you complete your tax return.